Donate Here!

My DFMC Fundraising Website!

Monday, February 1, 2010

Yet Another Reason...

Yesterday, a dear professor of mine passed away after a long and courageous battle with colon cancer. Eileen Hayes was a nursing professor during my final semester at UMass. She took a leave of absence halfway through the semester to focus entirely on her treatment and to get well. I have an email from Eileen that she sent to my nursing class, discussing her condition, treatment, and outlook on the future. Despite the difficult and unimaginable battle she was fighting, Eileen always remained positive.

From the moment I met Eileen, I knew there was something special about the extraordinary individual she was. She was genuine. Compassionate. Kind-hearted. Eileen mentored and inspired her students and always brought out the best in every individual she came in contact with. She was a beloved and highly respected teacher, and I will forever be grateful for the relationship I had with her.

In the email Eileen sent, she shared with us an Irish blessing that was important to her, and in memory of this remarkable woman, I would like to share it with everyone as well.

An Irish Blessing
May love and laughter light your days, and warm your heart and home.
May good and faithful friends be yours, wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world with joy that long endures.
May all life's passing seasons bring the best to you and yours.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face, and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand.


Thank you for opening up your heart, sharing your smile, and teaching me the importance of being a compassionate and competent nurse. You will forever be an inspiration and will never be forgotten.

Another reason why I run....

1 comment:

  1. Lovely Ash - sorry for your loss. Same for your most recent post. You're a Champ - champs do get knocked down, but they always get back up! Keep on keepin' on! CU soon

    ReplyDelete